Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Larimer County Below 6000 Feet/Northwest Weld County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on July 05, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
29-15 in 2000... the 29th marked the beginning of a near record hot
streak for Metro Denver. The high temperatures... as recorded
at Denver International Airport... exceeded the 90 degree mark
for 17 consecutive days from June 29th through July 15th.
The record of 24 consecutive 90 degree or above days was
set from July 13th through August 5th... 2008.
1-18 in 1874... a streak of 18 consecutive days of 90 degrees
tied for second with another streak that was later set
in the Summer of 1901. The record of 24 consecutive days
was established in the Summer of 2008.
1-31 in 2012... it was the hottest July on record in Denver since
weather records began in 1872. The average temperature for
the month was 78.9 degrees which was 4.7 degrees above
normal. There were 27 days in which the high temperature
equaled or exceeded 90 degrees... which established a new
record. There were also 7 days in which the temperature
equaled or exceeded 100 degrees which tied the record
set in 2005.
4-5 in 1875... nearly every Railroad running into the city was
damaged by heavy thunderstorm rains. The heavy rains
washed out wooden bridges over normally dry creeks.
Some trains were entirely suspended. In the city... heavy
thunderstorm rain totaled 1.05 inches on the 4th... but
only 0.28 inch on the 5th.
4-8 in 1989... one of the most intense heat waves on record roasted
Metro Denver. The temperature reached 100 degrees or more
on 5 consecutive days. The city had previously never
recorded more than 2 straight 100-degree days since records
began in 1872. Water and electricity usage reached all time
highs. The heat wave created extremely dry weather
conditions... which contributed to a major Forest fire in
Boulder Canyon on July 9th. The temperature reached 103
degrees on the 8th... and the Mercury climbed to 101 degrees
on both the 4th and 5th... and to 102 degrees on both the
6th and 7th. The low temperature of 68 degrees on the 8th
equaled the record high minimum for the date.
5 in 1908... a late evening thunderstorm produced sustained north
winds to 40 mph... hail... and 0.45 inch of precipitation.
In 1949... a dust devil... possibly a small tornado... was observed
3 miles to the northwest of Stapleton Airport.
In 1973... the temperature reached 100 degrees at Stapleton
In 1974... strong thunderstorm winds damaged a Mobile home... a
barn... two houses... and several sheds near Watkins.
In 1975... a thunderstorm wind gust to 53 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport. Hail up to 3/4 inch in
diameter fell over the northwest suburbs and in northwest
In 1977 three houses in Denver were struck by lightning.
Some heavy damage and fire occurred.
In 1990... lightning caused minor damage to houses in Castle
Rock... Louviers... and Littleton.
In 1996... lightning caused only minor damage when it struck
a home in Evergreen. Lightning from a fast moving
thunderstorm blasted a large hole in the side of a house
in Lakewood. Lightning triggered a minor power outage in
the Boulder area. About 200 homes were affected.
In 2001... severe thunderstorm winds gusted to 60 mph at Denver
International Airport and to 70 mph... 7 miles southwest of
In 2008... microburst winds downed a large tree and some power
lines near a Denver apartment complex. Several of the
tenants' vehicles were damaged.
In 2009... a wet microburst produced very strong winds in and
just east of Denver. A peak wind gust of 69 mph was
measured 1.5 miles east of Denver. In addition... 1.50
inches of rain fell in 30 minutes. A peak wind gust to
68 mph was also observed near Byers. Southwest winds
gusted to 31 mph at Denver International Airport. The
Airport also recieved 0.30 inches of rainfall.
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- Louisiana - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Minnesota - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Special Statement , Record Report
- North Carolina - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Areal Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning
- Utah - Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Air Quality Alert
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report