Current Watches and Warnings
California, Ventura County Coast
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 8:21 PM PDT on October 08, 2015
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on October 11, 2015
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from late Friday
night through Sunday afternoon...
* hazards... strong rip current activity will occur this weekend
due to a moderately long period westerly swell. It is advised
to remain off of jetties this weekend due to the potential for
sneaker waves and strong rip currents.
* Timing... a moderately long period westerly swell will spread
over the area from Friday through Sunday.
* Tides... on Saturday... a high tide around 5 feet will occur
around 845 am PDT followed by a low tide around 1 foot around
300 PM PDT.
* Location... southwest and west facing beaches will be most
impacted by wave and rip current activity.
* Potential impacts... there is an increased risk of ocean
drowning. Rip currents can pull swimmers and surfers out to
sea. Sneaker waves can suddenly wash people off of beaches and
A beach hazards statement is issued when threats to beach and
surf zone safety are expected or occurring. Caution should be
used when in or near the water. Rip currents are powerful
channels of water flowing quickly away from shore... which occur
most often at low spots or breaks in The Sandbar and in the
vicinity of structures such as groins... jetties and piers. Heed
the advice of lifeguards and the beach patrol. Pay attention to
flags and posted signs. If you become caught in a rip current...
do not panic. Remain calm and begin to swim parallel to shore.
Once you are away from the force of the rip current... begin to
swim back to the beach. Do not attempt to swim directly against a
rip current. Even a strong swimmer can become exhausted quickly.
Statement as of 6:30 PM PDT on October 08, 2015
... Preliminary record high temperature set at bob Hope Airport
a record high temperature of 102 degrees was set at bob Hope
Airport (burbank) CA today. This tied the old record of 102 set in
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Special Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Louisiana - Record Report
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Jersey - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory
- North Dakota - Dense Fog Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory, Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- South Dakota - Frost Advisory
- Tennessee - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch